A Parent's Guide:
Preventing Nappy Rash
June 22, 2022
Does your infant suffer from nappy rash? You are NOT alone!
Many infants develop nappy rash at some point.
As parents, we understand the stress involved in knowing our bubs are
Today, we will highlight what a nappy rash is, and steps to prevent it from occurring.
So, what is nappy rash?
- Nappy rash, also identified as diaper dermatitis, is an irritation of the skin.
- It can present as redness, scaling, blisters, or papules (small pimple).
What causes nappy rash?
MANY aspects can contribute to nappy rash, such as:
- Infrequent nappy changes
- as acidity breaks down skin
- A variation in the infant’s diet such as when solid foods are offered
- Using antibiotics
- Or when breastfeeding mothers eat certain foods
How can YOU prevent nappy rash?
1. Change a nappy as soon it is dirty. We cannot stress this enough. The longer the infant remains in a soiled nappy, the higher chance of the skin becoming inflamed.
2. Use water to clean the skin during a nappy change. The Baby Bum Shower makes this easy!
3. Allow the skin to air dry - the skin must avoid a moist environment as it will delay healing.
4. Apply a barrier cream that contains zinc-oxide to protect the skin from the irritants of urine and stools. If you decide to use a baby wipes to clean the skin, please ensure it is unscented and contains no alcohol as this will make the rash worse.
References: Lowdermilk, D. et al. (2021). Maternity and Women’s Health Care, 12 edition. Elsevier.
The Baby Bum Shower Practice
Baby Bum Shower
Specifically designed for the Mum and Dad on the go to assist with those nasty nappy changes, the BBS can be used to help clean up any messy situation. The BBS is a small, hand-held device that delivers soap (pH neutral emollient based) and water or just WATER whenever it’s needed. It is activated by a simple squeeze of the bottle making it simple and easy to use in the messiest of situations. It holds enough solution to clean up to 10 wet nappy changes or dirty hands while taking up minimal space.
Peace of Mind
Gentle on Delicate Skin